Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pie

I watched Waitress, with Keri Russell, on the flight over to Honolulu - and since watching that movie I've had this urge to bake pies. So I baked two pies over the weekend. The first was a white chocolate cream pie with a meringue top. The flavor was okay, but the texture of the chocolate cream was weird. It was more gelatinous than pudding like, and was an unappealing light brown color. I give that pie a C-.

Today I made an apple pie with a lattice top, and let me tell you people, that pie was one of the best pies I ever had. The apples weren't the best baking apples, but the flavor was fantastic, especially when paired with vanilla caramel swirl ice cream. I poured the sauce for the apples over the lattice crust so the sauce went into the spaces between the crust pieces, and all over the crust too. So the top crust was flaky, cruncy, sugary, yum. That pie has been rated an A+.

I've already achieve perfection after two pies, so there's no need to continue. I've found my signature pie.

Jason sez: Mmmmmm...Pie....AGHGAAgHAGAHGHGHAGHAHHHAHHA...

1 comments:

nanny joan said...

I am soooooooo hungry for a piece of home-made apple pie. Guess I will have to bake one too. Granny Smith apples are the best for baking apple pies. I made 2 home made apple dumplings last week - they weren't pretty because I didn't roll the dough out enough, but when they were baked and I put a scoop of ice-cream on top and a little cool whip -even your Dad who was a dumpling connoisseur would have said "your dumplings are wonderful!).