Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Water water everywhere

Wow, what a deluge. I think I've probably spoken to most of the people the read this blog about our adventure with the "Great Seattle Flood of 07" or "The Day of the Storm Drain Reckoning", so I'll just update.

The water went out almost as fast as it came in, leaving muck and mud and ruined carpet in its wake. Really, I consider us fairly lucky. We'll have to replace Kelsey's carpet and her computer, but mostly it's just mop up work for us. We're fairly confident that there isn't anything wrong with the drainage system for the house. The mayor was on TV last night saying that Seattle's drainage and infrastructure systems just weren't up to handling that much water. Like, enough water to fill Green Lake 6 times....over 5 billion gallons. I don't know where he came up with that figure, but it sounds substantial and awe-inspiring, so I'll repeat it.

I know there has been national coverage and probably pictures of the after effects to a lot of people around here, so some wet carpet isn't all that bad when you look at the big picture. I just wish the natural disasters would bypass us for a while. Couldn't happen at a worse week either, since I have finals next week and a huge project due on Monday, so I can't help too much with clean up until next Wednesday.

Thanks for all the calls and good thoughts though...we sure appreciate it. :-) We'll see most of you really soon.

2 comments:

aunt mare said...

hi seattle////so sorry about your unexpected visit from the weatherman. glad to hear everyone is safe and that is the only damage you suffered. i called yesterday and left you a message. looking forward to seeing you at christmas.. love aunt mare

nanny joan said...

thinking about you guys all the time - if you get a chance read my blog..... I talked to Omi and Papa Bill last night and they loved Kelsey's school pic. They are up to date on your weather, they will be going to Kris' on Christmas Eve. Pooh did you find someone to pick you up tomorrow. Please let me know - like I said I can come but it will be closed to mid-night till I would get there...... Kelly keep plugging away for those exams - you won't be sorry you spend the time crammin g for your tests when you get your grades and find that you aced them. Keep up the good work honey.

How 'bout our laptop lady in labor and delivery.... She is so awesome I can hardly stand it.