Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thievery!

So last night I was checking out our credit card statement online, as I am wont to do each evening, lest the budget go awry. Imagine my surprise to see a $1398 pending charge from some company called Reliable Solar K. This was following a $1 pending charge from Apple iTunes. After checking with Jay to make sure he didn't make some weird large purchase, I called the card company. Turns out that it is quite common to see a fraudulent charge from Apple for $1 or $2 just to make sure the card number is valid, and then the large charge.

Luckily, I caught it before it was put through, and the card company cancelled my account and reissued new cards right away. Now I just have to go through the hassle of changing all of my automatic bill payments (we put everything on the credit card to get the miles, and then pay it off weekly). What a bummer.

I post this as a cautionary tale for any of you using credit cards to keep an eye out for some very small charges that you don't remember making - it could be a harbinger of bad tidings!

1 comments:

nanny joan said...

wow that is some scarry stuff - there is no "honor among thieves" anymore and people know all kinds of ways to steal your money. Just cannot be careful enough.

Our weather is finally turning around - in the mid-80s for the next five days. Oh boy. Lilly is laying on the chair on the porch catching the rays. Such a crazy cat.