Thursday, October 09, 2008

I'm with Stupid

Officially the end of the 4th week of my internship and I feel dumber every day. Every single person is different than the last, so it's like getting totally reoriented to something new every hour. The only thing I think I have down pat are the procedures, the paracentesis in particular because we do a lot of them. That's the only thing that I can actually scan by myself because it's just 5 or 6 pictures.

Even today, I scanned a patient to rule out ascites, and I had to scan the patient's bladder. I see this round thing in the middle of the bladder and I'm thinking "holy cow, this guy has a big cyst!" I'm wondering if I should measure it, when my CI comes in and says that's a foley catheter. Duh.

I think I'm getting just a teensy bit better though - I'm certainly scanning a lot more each day. They let me start the exams on my own now, and then they come in after about 10 minutes to finish up. The good thing is they can watch me on the monitors so if I'm really struggling they can come in right away.

So, tonight Jay and I were watching House Hunters because we not only enjoy the show, but tonight's was about Seattle so we were anxious to see what neighborhoods they showed. At the very end of the show the couple who bought the house were having a party and announced they were pregnant, and then the camera shows all of their friends who were there celebrating....and holy crap! It was Darci! A quick stop, rewind, pause...and there she was, no mistaking it. So of course we had to call her right away to tell her we saw her on TV. She's like..oh yeah! House Hunters! She wanted to know if she looked fat :-)

That was cool...a totally unexpected sighting of someone you know on your TV. How often does that happen?

1 comments:

nanny joan said...

I/m pretty sure I watched that show last week - was one of the houses in the Green Lake area? I didn't see Darci though. I was reading at the same time I was watching the show. Hang in there with your scanning - you will be a pro in no time.