Thursday, December 28, 2006

Hanging out in Da'Burgh

We got to Pittsburgh Christmas day about 3:30, after a harrowing drive in the rain with a rental car that did not want to stay on the road. Jason's hands were in a death grip after 3 hours of trying hard to keep us all alive, while Kelsey and I slept. (me, fitfully...as I kept jerking awake every time we slipped to see if we were all about to die. Then I'd go back to sleep).

Christmas night we had dinner at Grandma Flo's house. It was the three of us, Mary and Hugo, Grandma Flo, Ron and Gail, and Robert. Lovely evening, and really good food. The next day, Megan and Robby arrived and Robby met everyone. We all dressed up in our finery, opened stockings in the living room, and went to the Duquesne Club for dinner. The same people, without Robert, met us there, and in addition was Ron's son Jordan and Mary's brother and sister-in-law from Colorado, Glen and Joanne.

Mary and Hugo had arranged a private room with a big dining room, a living room area and bathroom, so we all had some drinks and opened our secret santa gifts (I got a quilt kit!), then had dinner. As usual, it was delicious and I felt like I needed to be rolled out of the room. We then took Robby on a tour of the place, and went to the Men's Bar for a nightcap before coming home exhausted.

The next day Megan and Robby left and it was a pretty relaxing day. Jason took Kelsey driving while I hung around the house, then that night we went to see Ron and Autumn sing at a local bar/restaurant. There was a huge crowd of relatives there too, so many more people to see and say hi to.

Tonight there are about 20 relatives coming to Mary and Hugo's for a pizza party. Unfortunately, both Kelsey and Jason got my cold and are both fighting to breath right now. I think there will be many infected people after the party tonight :-(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you can please upload the pics of us all dressed up at mary and hugos, thanks!

nanny joan said...

hey I was finally able to get on this computer and read all of your posts. It sure has been a long, and busy holiday for you guys. I am going to miss you all, but I am already planning when I can come out and spend time in Seattle with you all. I figure since I will go to Austin in March and you will be in SF in March I would like to come out early May. Would that be ok with you guys. The weather should be ok for flying by then I hope. It sounds like Pittsburgh was wonderful - like you said so many people to see and catch up with. Some day I would love to see Mary and Hugo again. Can you check with Hugo to see if I could possibly join you guys on your next cruise - I WOULD CERTAINLY PAY MY OWN WAY - MAKE SURE HE KNOWS THAT. I don't know how else I will ever get to see them.

Tonight I am supposed to go over to the Sheraton and spend some time with the Durick gang - having some drinks and hanging around the pool. Sue and Eric are here - I don't know who else will be going and if we are drinking I have to find out who will drive us home.

My eyes are really good. I only wear glasses now to use the computer and read. It really is amazing. Well have a very safe trip back to Seattle. Let us know when you get home. Love to all, Mom